Introducing European Roulette
- The roulette wheel has 37 numbers: 1 to 36, and the single Zero .
- It is the most famous of all casino table games.
- The house edge is 2.7%.
European Roulette rules
To win, one must guess which number will come out, yet there is so much more to it! A bet may be placed on one or several numbers using a single chip.
There are two ways to bet:
- Inside bets are placed on numbers 1 to 36 and ,
- and outside bets target colour, pairs, sections of the layout, and dozens.
Where to play online European Roulette?
Considering all online casinos, Villento Casino stands out as an excellent site. It ranks among the best in the UK.
18+ | Gamble responsibly
The welcome offer is for new members only
A WR applies to all bonuses
European Roulette is the flagship game of the Villento Casino. Other casino sites are also recommended. We invite you to check out our selection of England’s most popular and reliable online casinos.
Roulette games have limits. The smallest possible bet is usually £1, and the largest can be as high as £10,000. Inside bets are more limited than outside bets. A small clear signage on each casino roulette informs of the betting limits. There are reasons to these limits. They prevent players from using progressing betting systems. Without these limits, tricks would make it possible to blow up the bank!
How to play European Roulette
Before placing your chips on the layout you have to wait for the dealer to announce: “Place your bets!”. With Instant Play Roulettes, this message is displayed. You can then place your chips on the layout.
Once the bets have been made, the dealer (or the instant game) announces: “No more bets!”. At this moment the ball is thrown and a few seconds later it lands on a winning number. Losing bets are for the house, and winners are paid. Once this step is completed a new game can begin, and so on.
European Roulette layout
Pockets on the wheel are numbered from 1 to 36, and . Numbers from 1 to 36 are alternately red and black. The Zero pocket is green. The numbers are mixed up, they are not in a sequence. The ball has an equal probability of landing in either of the pockets. The wheel is turned in one direction, while the ball is thrown in the opposite direction.
When the ball starts losing speed, it is about to land in one of the 37 pockets. The winning number is announced once the ball is in its pocket. Losing bets are removed and winning players are paid.
Instant Play or Live Roulette?
On an online casino site, playing Instant Roulette or Live Roulette is exactly the same. The rules of the game do not vary. Usually players choose to play Instant Roulette: it’s faster and more convenient. It is also the best way to play without being disturbed by other players.
European Roulette bets
Many betting opportunities exist at the European Roulette green table! Inside bets (on numbers) offer the highest winning gains. Outside bets allow you to win two to three times the stake, depending on the chosen options.
Inside bets – the most profitable
- Straight-up: the biggest of all bets. If you win, you earn 35 times the stake.
- Split: bet on two adjacent numbers. The payout is 17 to 1.
- Street: bet on all numbers of a horizontal line. A winning payout is 11 to 1.
- Square: win 8 times the amount of your initial bet. This bet is also called “The Corner.”
- Six line: a single bet on two adjacent lines. Also called “Double Street”. The payout is 5 to 1.
Outside bets – the safest
|Odd / Even||1/1|
|Low / High||1/1|
- Colour: Red or Black? The most popular bet that can double your invested stake in case of victory.
- Odd or Even: The second most popular bet. The payout is 1 to 1.
- Low or High: The least played bet. Bet on numbers 1 to 18 (low), or 19 to 36 (high).
- Column: A bet on any of the three columns (12 numbers). It pays twice the stake.
- Dozen: Bet on 1 to 12, 13 to 24, or on 25 to 36. A winning bet triples the stake.
There are tricks that may enable you to beat the casino, but be careful! There are no winning strategies to take over the casino. This is because the gambling house always has the advantage. The casino’s winning margin in European Roulette is 1/37. The return rate is 97.3%. It’s as if the gambling house receives 2.7% of each bet. Fortunately it’s quite different in practice, otherwise there would be no point in playing the game. Yet some players win and others lose.
European Roulette history
The inventor of the Roulette is Blaise Pascal, a 17th century French mathematician. He was fascinated by perpetual motion machines. The Zero was not yet part of the system. Everything changed in 1796! Before this “historical” date which marked the downfall of the monarchy, only the King of France and his followers played Roulette.
After the French Revolution, the 36-number Roulette changed to 37-number, gaining the extra Zero. The game was played in private clubs in Paris.
1842 was a rapid turning point. The Blanc brothers, both head of the Monaco Casino, installed the European Roulette in their gaming rooms. The Monaco Casino would become the favorite destination of gambling fans in Europe. The beauty of the place, its prestige and, most importantly, the fact that many countries forbade gambling, were going to make Monaco a success.